1. How old were you when you were diagnosed? And/or how old is your diabetes now?
16 years old. One month, 48 hours.
2. What was your first reaction to your diagnosis?
now i have it…..no…it was really just surreal. it still is.
3. Have you ever been to diabetes camp/events? Have you made any friends that way?
No…but i was actually asked to speak at a diabetic camp for little kids? thats weird cuase i was barely diagnosed but i guess since they know my brother and yeah..
4. Do you know any other diabetics? (both online and IRL)
Social media is great thing. ive met a couple of new diabetic friends on twitter. MY brother has been a type 1 diabetic for 26 years…my uncle has been a type 1 diabetic for almost 40 years..
5. Pump, shots, or something else? Why? What meter/pump do you use?
i honestly WANT to be on the pump so badly…omg…it seems like such great freedom…my brother has had a pump for 16 years…my uncle has had a pump since they came out. my endocrinologist said i should get it by the end of the summer…ive litterly been trying so hard to keep my blood sugar numbers normal..and so far so good! :)
6. Do you advertise it or try to hide it? Any reason why?
HELL NO im not hiding this?! to me, that is such unneeded stress…and it would just make me feel dirty cuase im hiding it…no..its who i am…and you best beleieve im just like every other person in the world..this decease doesnt define me…that sounds cliche but its the truth. theres nothing wrong with ANY diabetic so ANY diabetics out there who feel dirty or different…no your not…your normal..just like everyone else. dont let this hold you back, or diabetes is controlling you. just think of it as you just need to go about your day a little differently and putting your body first? thats what everyone should do, right? BUT…i dont go around advertising it..if its brought im more then willing to talk about it.
7. What’s your favorite diabetic book/movie?
i dont really have one…i guess steel magnolia … but its just a sad movie :(
8. Did you have to make any major lifestyle changes when you were diagnosed?
not really…i tried my best not to…im meshing diabetes into my life…i guess it was already there watching my brother and uncle do for my whole life…but i just need to do the quick shots before i eat and the long lasting one :)…im actually getting really quick at setting them up :)
9. Have you ever traveled far away with it? What was that like?
ive been to NYC…i live in California..so thats far:P and of course ive been all over mexico :) but the farthest ive traveled with diabetes was disneyland:P
10. What was your scariest diabetes moment?
i havent had a real bad one…i guess im really sensitive to lows…so ill feel it at like 75… but once in my passing period i started feeling like crapp…and i checked into class and went to the nurse and i was 48…meh:/ i think the scarest DIABETIC moment in general was when my brother was driving on christmas eve and he started having a seizure…:/
11. What’s your record for highs/lows?
12. How’s your relationship with your endocrinologist?
i like him…and he knows like my whole family since he was my bros doctor for years to:P but hes kind of like dry…not like a dooch bag dry…just monotone :P its kinda funny (x
13. What’s your favorite diabetes joke?
i have a sense of humor…im a funny guy i think…but i absouletly hate when non-diabetics make a joke about diabetes..i dont care if your neighbor has diabetes. -.- i never made jokes about diabetes before i had it…i dont even do it now haha…now pick up lines.. THATS a different story…like..”hey sugar, your bringing my blood sugar up” or something like that idk ahaha
14. Have you ever gotten in trouble for doing something diabetes-related that someone didn’t think was allowed?
15. What’s your favorite oh-gosh-my-diabetes-hates-me-for-eating-this food?
SKITTLES!! or oatmeal cookies…good lord…those sqrew with my sugar…
16. Do you own/use any diabetic cookbooks?
17. Has being diabetic gotten you any privileges? (scholarships, special treatment, etc)
i get to leave lunch 20 min. earlier then everyone else :)…umm..im gonna go for all the diabetic scholarships available…and i only got real special treatment at disneyland..when i could cut the lines :D
18. What advice would you give a newly-diagnosed diabetic?
well being one myself…hmm…dont give up…diabetes does not control you :) talk to me:)
19. What’s your best diabetes moment?
when i was in the hospital and i tested my blood and it came out to 139….i was all excited :D
20. Give a diabetic shoutout!
i have to shout out my brother…he inspires me :) AND he just gave me a new niece :D